Code generation is a quick way to generate your application, and is suitable for rapid application development. There are many tools out there which help in this context. One of the famous one is CodeSmith. However, it is not free. In this article, I showed you several open source .NET application generators that I used, which are similiar to CodeSmith.
From the website, it claims
- The #1 .NET Development Tool on Download.com of all time.
- A $199 value given away 100% free. No Adware or Spyware.
- MyGeneration’s dOOdads Architecture Included for Both C# and VB.NET (Quickstart)
- Supported Architectures – dOOdads, EntitySpaces, EasyObjects.NET/EntLib, Gentle.NET, Opf3, NHibernate, Microsoft’s DAAB, DotNetNuke, iBatis
- Support for Twelve Different Database Systems.
- Microsoft SQL, Oracle, IBM DB2, PostgreSQL, Microsoft Access, FireBird, Interbase, VistaDB, SQLite, MySQL, Advantage and Pervasive
- Template Based Code Generator Supporting Four Template Languages – JScript, VBScript, C# and VB.NET
- Ability to Create Your Own Embedded User Interface in your Templates
- Online Template Library for Publishing and Downloading Templates
- Very Active Support Forums
- No Hassle, No Questions asked Download
What I like is the template based code generation, and the template libraries that can be used to generate desktop application, ASP.NET application, etc whether languages that you preferred like C# or VB.NET, etc.
SmartCode is an Open Source template-driven code generator that lets software developers automatically produce programs and components that interact with database systems.
SmartCode’ templates are programs that access the Smart Code Object Model to produce tailored programs and components.
Templates may be written in C# or VB.NET (or theoretically in any language that supports the creation of dynamic-link libraries).According to the website, SmartCode is the right tool for you if:
- You want to automatically generate n-tier .NET web applications, all the way from the user interface to the SQL Server stored procedures.
- You have designed the user interface for your (windows or web) application and want to automatically generate the code to access and update the database.
- You have developed the business tier for your application and want to automatically generate the data access layers based on the database schema.
- You want to automatically generate stored procedures for creating, deleting, updating, and searching for records in the database.
- You want to quickly build fully-functional prototypes of web-based applications that interact with database systems.
- You want to standardize the architecture of the applications that are developed in your organization.
- You want to learn by example how to architect enterprise-level web applications.
- You want to develop templates of the code you write so that in the future you can generate code automatically.
- You want to deliver applications with consistent quality.
- You are tired of writing the same repetitive code over and over again.
- You want an powerful and Open Source tool.
Popularity: 8% [?]