RSS Feed for This PostCurrent Article

Open Source Software to start up Java as Windows Service/Unix Daemon

Nowadays Java is used more and more for server application development, and also backend processes for ETL purposes. For this, there is a need to run the Java program as Windows Service in Windows platform, or as a Unix daemon process. The tools described can be used both for Windows and Unix/Linux platforms.

Java Service Wrapper by Tanuki Software

Java Service Wrapper makes it possible to install a Java Application as a Windows NT Service. The scripts provided with the Wrapper also make it very easy to install those same Java Applications as daemon processes on UNIX systems.

The Wrapper correctly handles user log outs under Windows, service dependencies, and the ability to run services which interact with the desktop.

The following platforms are supported.

• aix – AIX
  • freebsd – FreeBSD
  • hpux, hpux64 – HP-UX, 32 and 64-bit versions.
  • irix – SGI Irix
  • linux – Linux kernels; 2.2.x 2.4.x, 2.6.x. Known to work with Debian and Red Hat, but should work with any distribution. Currently supported on both 32 and 64-bit x86, and 64-bit ppc systems.
  • macosx – Macintosh OS X.
  • osf1 – DEC OSF1.
  • solaris – Sun OS, Solaris 7, 8, 9 and 10. Currently supported on both 32 and 64-bit sparc, and x86 systems.
  • win32 – Windows NT, 2000, XP, and 2003.

Apache Commons Daemon

Commons Daemon initially comes from Tomcat project. It is made of 2 parts. One written in C that makes the interface to the operating system and the other in Java that provides the Daemon API.

win32 and the UNIX like platforms are supported. For win32 platfroms use procrun. For UNIX like platforms use jsvc.

The binaries are provided for

• freebsd
  • linux
  • macos
  • solaris

Trackback URL

RSS Feed for This Post8 Comment(s)

1. Adam Sherman | Oct 1, 2007 | Reply

Have you used either one of these frameworks yet? I’m looking to implement this functionality and am having trouble understanding the difference.

A.

2. thoughtworks | Oct 1, 2007 | Reply

I used Java Service wrapper for several projects that I did on Unix platform, and I am quite happy with it.

Also, I noticed that Java Service Wrapper is used by several famous commerical software (I will not mention the name) but I think it is worth you look into both and try to use them in your project.

3. itsadok | Oct 8, 2007 | Reply

I tried these solutions for my Linux servers, and never managed to get it to work quite right. (My fault, of course).
    I ended up using daemontools from http://thedjbway.org/ – this way it doesn’t matter whether it’s a Java process or a shell script, anything can be a daemon.

4. Debasish Layek | Dec 14, 2007 | Reply

cool

5. dipak | Apr 9, 2008 | Reply

whenever we start a service & log on a user on it.then after logging of the service also gets stopped?Why this happened?

6. tưới tự động | Aug 20, 2016 | Reply

I blog frequently and I genuinely appreciate your content.
    The article has truly peaked my interest. I am going
    to take a note of your blog and keep checking for new information about once per week.

I subscribed to your RSS feed as well.

7. glitter waterfall iphone 5c case | Aug 25, 2016 | Reply

However, these gardens will take a lot more time and energy to create than koi waterfalls.
    D-Mannose is one of the most popular and the best remedies
    for those who are suffering from cystitis or urinary
    bladder infections. Then find some woodworking plans
    and patterns for a nice little wooden bridge for over your pond
    and you are done.

8. denver car cash | Aug 26, 2016 | Reply

Police have not released the name of the company for
    security reasons, but the investigation did rule out employees’ involvement in the
    theft. It’s been widely documented that it is vital to dedicate good quality time with your kids and other family when they are
    young as this establishes a wonderful bond among you. This is simply because of the higher price
    of manufacturing metals.

1 Trackback(s)

1. From 小叮当 » Blog Archive » 开源软件启用Java作为Windows Service/Unix Daemon | Sep 21, 2007

RSS Feed for This PostPost a Comment