Open source is a great idea. I have been implementing a of of open source solutions, in PHP, .NET and Java. No Ruby project yet. For SMEs (small and medium enterprises), they definitely could not offer the price of SAP, or SIEBEL. However, they do not mind paying for a small sum of money to help them implement open source solutions to help running their daily business operations, and also support the software.
Here I am going to show you some of the great business solutions that could definitely help small to medium businesses. The list is not mean to cover the “top” or most “popular” software out there. There are definitely a lot of open source solutions available for the same domain space. The list here is just based on my project implementation experience. If you have a second opinion, do let me know.
Alfresco is the Open Source Alternative for Enterprise Content Management (ECM), providing
- Enterprise Content Management (ECM)
- Document Management
- Records Management
- Knowledge Management
- Web Content Management
Centric CRM is a mature, fully featured, Java-based, Web-delivered CRM with leads management, contacts, pipeline, accounts, quotes, campaign management, project management, document management, help desk, reports, employee, and admin modules.
Drupal is a free software package that allows an individual or a community of users to easily publish, manage and organize a wide variety of content on a website. Tens of thousands of people and organizations have used Drupal to power scores of different web sites, including
- Community web portals
- Discussion sites
- Corporate web sites
- Intranet applications
- Personal web sites or blogs
- Aficionado sites
- E-commerce applications
- Resource directories
- Social Networking sites
Joomla! is used all over the world to power everything from simple, personal homepages to complex corporate web applications. Here are just some of the ways people use our software:
- Corporate websites or portals
- Online commerce
- Small business websites
- Non-profit and organizational websites
- Government applications
- Corporate intranets and extranets
- School and church websites
- Personal or family homepages
- Community-based portals
- Magazines and newspapers
- the possibilities are limitless…
Joomla! can be used to easily manage every aspect of your website, from adding content and images to updating a product catalog or taking online reservations.
JasperReports is the leading open source reporting engine. JasperReports is a powerful open source Java reporting tool that has the ability to deliver rich content onto the screen, to the printer or into PDF, HTML, XLS, CSV and XML files.
It is entirely written in Java and can be used in a variety of Java enabled applications, including J2EE or Web applications, to generate dynamic content.
Its main purpose is to help creating page oriented, ready to print documents in a simple and flexible manner.
Open-Xchange Community Edition delivers Smart Collaboration™.
Smart Collaboration simplies everyday life, work and social interactions. It is based on AJAX, open source software and open standards and offers reliable and scalable messaging and advanced collaboration solutions. Specifically, Open-Xchange Community Edition offers email, calendar, contacts, tasks, documents, bookmarks and knowledge entries.
Unique features of the Open-Xchange Server are:
- Infostore: a common repository of documents, bookmarks and knowledge entries;
- Documail: the integration of email and document sharing/version control; Smart Links between all collaboration objects;
- Smart Privacy that let’s users define read and write access to all collaboration objects; and
- Universal Access: the ability to access the server from the widest variety of browsers, clients and mobile devices. Organizations use Open-Xchange’s web-based administration module to add, delete and change user roles and entitlements.
Hyperic HQ is the industry’s only comprehensive product that provides cross-stack visibility for software in production, whether it’s open source, commercial, or a hybrid. As a result, companies can now centrally manage the fast-moving technologies of the Next Generation Data Center, and more efficiently and effectively avoid costly downtime. An extensible system, Hyperic HQ manages all kinds of operating systems, web servers, application servers and database servers. Using the Hyperic HQ Portal, the software can be quickly configured to monitor, alert, diagnose and control most types of applications. Key benefits include:
- Auto-Discovery of asset inventory with one click
- Monitors metrics of 65+ technologies across 9 OSes
- Tracks performance, configuration and security changes
- Maximizes availability with alerting and corrective control actions to address problems before they occur
Extends, Customizes to best manage your unique environment needs