ICE combines a columnar database with our Knowledge Grid architecture to deliver a self-managing, self-tuning database optimized for analytics. ICE eliminates the need to create indexes, partition data, or do any manual tuning to achieve fast response for queries and reports. Built on MySQL, ICE lets you load and query large amounts of data easily and without the effort required with other databases.
ICE is an open source software solution designed to deliver a scalable data warehouse optimized for analytic queries.
The architecture delivers the following key benefits:
- Ideal for data volumes up to 50TB
- Market-leading data compression (from 10:1 to over 40:1), which drastically reduces I/O (improving query performance) and results in significantly less storage than alternative solutions
- No licensing fees
- Fast response times for ad hoc analytic queries
- Query and load performance remains constant as the size of the database grows
- No requirement for specific schemas, e.g. Star schema
- No requirement for materialized views, complex data partitioning strategies, or indexing
- Simple to implement and manage, requiring little administration
- Reduction in data warehouse capital and operational expenses by reducing the number of servers, the amount of storage needed and their associated maintenance costs, and a significant reduction in administrative costs
- Runs on low cost, off-the-shelf hardware
- Is compatible with major Business Intelligence tools such as Pentaho, Jaspersoft, Cognos, Business Objects, and others