Java Excel API is a mature, open source java API enabling developers to read, write, and modifiy Excel spreadsheets dynamically. Now java developers can read Excel spreadsheets, modify them with a convenient and simple API, and write the changes to any output stream (e.g. disk, HTTP, database, or any socket).
Any operating system which can run a Java virtual machine (i.e., not just Windows) can both process and deliver Excel spreadsheets. Because it is Java, the API can be invoked from within a servlet, thus giving access to Excel spreadsheets over internet and intranet web applications.
- Reads data from Excel 95, 97, 2000, XP, and 2003 workbooks
- Reads and writes formulas (Excel 97 and later only)
- Generates spreadsheets in Excel 2000 format
- Supports font, number and date formatting
- Supports shading, bordering, and coloring of cells
- Modifies existing worksheets
- Is internationalized, enabling processing in almost any locale, country, language, or character encoding (formulas are currently only supported in English, French, Spanish, and German, but more can be added if translated)
- Supports copying of charts
- Supports insertion and copying of images into spreadsheets
- Supports logging with Jakarta Commons Logging, log4j, JDK 1.4 Logger, etc