Kannel is an open source SMS and WAP gateway. It is developed on Linux using C but should be able to run on Unix like systems. For Windows, you will need the Cygwin to compile it.
For SMS services,
- Work as both Pull and Push gateway
- Can handle 7-bit, 8-bit and Unicode data
- Delivery reports
- Can handle hundreds of messages per second in average workstation
- Can be used to send operator logos, ringing tones, OTA configurations, WAP SI messages etc. but usually the message must be created by hand
- Supports following SMS center protocols: CIMD 1.3, CIMD 2.0, SMPP 3.4, UCP/EMI 4.0. Also: SEMA SMS2000 OIS protocol for SMS centers over Radiopad and X.25.
- Can use GMS phones and GSM modems as pseudo SMS center
- Can connect various HTTP based content gateways
- Can work as aggregator
For WAP services
- WSP: connection oriented and connectionless modes.
- WML compiler from text to binary form. Supports a number of character sets.
- WMLScript compiler: Converts textual WMLScript source code to a byte-code format.
- WTP: class 0, 1, and 2. Error handling is not very much tested, though.
- WDP: Supports only UDP bearer (GSM data and GPRS), no SMS bearer support yet.
- WAP push